Sunday, April 03, 2005

Requiescat In Pace

Pope John Paul II and Terri Schiavo.

I won't get political about Terri except to say I WAS AGAINST STARVING HER TO DEATH!!! 'Nuff said. If anyone wants to discuss it, sure, I'll be happy to oblige.

And now our Pope is gone home, too. I didn't agree with every, single thing he said and taught, but I sure can be proud to say he was my Papa.

Mr. Skyler from work pointed out to me that maybe it was time for a new post-- it's a new world right now. He's right. Two international happenings, both of which will affect all of us. (I include Terri Schiavo as an international happening because the whole world knew about her and had something to say.)

I wonder what precedent Terri Schiavo's case will set for us as a nation? Because it IS a precedent, and we KNOW what happened to her will impact all of us legally, somehow. Better get our living wills in order, not joking.

As far as having no pope for a couple of weeks, no, the Catholic Church is not in a state of anarchy, as my kids keep claiming (they're just joshing, but their friends, who ought to know better, believe them). It's what I told them-- the Church is a theocracy, and since God's never not around, we don't have to worry about anything. All will be well.

Oh. Something I've been explaining to people who mention it-- why do we wait 9 days before deciding on a new pope? Simple. That's how long the Apostles waited for the Holy Spirit after Jesus ascended to Heaven. (That's where Catholics get the term "Novena"-- it means "nine".) No, we don't equate the Pope with Christ. And we don't equate the new Pope that's chosen with the Holy Spirit. But for Catholics, the Pope represents Christ, and he's also a Paraclete, a helper. He's a shepherd. So, nine days.

I'd say we're all going to be watching for the next couple of years to see what happens in our lives because of these two things. Heavy stuff. We'll all be affected.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well put!!!

-M.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home