Sunday, July 08, 2007

Oh, My Aching Back!

And hands. And arms. And elbows.

My 3rd Saturday at my new place of biz, and I think I destroyed any mobility I might possibly need in the future. It hurts to get up. It hurts to bend. It hurts to squeeze my hands, all the way up into my elbows and shoulders and shoulder blades.

My hands are numb, my fingers too swollen to hold a pen for journaling.

My lower back feels like something slid out of place, and it hurts into my left buttock, grinding past and through it, down into the joint where my thighbone meets my hip socket. It's not sciatica, I know what that feels like.

The middle of my back feels like someone spent all night jumping up and down on it.

I think it's from spending almost 8 hours bending, lifting, pushing, pulling, stacking, raising, twisting yesterday. But yesterday shouldn't have been the day to create such havoc-- wouldn't it have happened within the first few days?

Hopefully, it'll be mostly gone by tomorrow (I don't expect it to be ALL gone) so I can go to work and start all over again with the physical stuff. Guess I won't be knitting or drawing for a few days, at least until the swelling in my hands is down. Ugh.

Tomorrow will be a split day. In fact, the whole week will be split days, so I get to stiffen up between shifts. Lovely. And come home later than I want, like 11 hours later, and feel sorry for myself.

I like the people, except for a couple of workers and a supervisor, but I really wish it were closer, like IN TOWN.

Perks? I'm getting my strength back-- in fact, I went to the store to buy cat food the other day. 20-pound bag. Lifted it from the stack, and almost threw it through the ceiling! I thought, "What? The bags aren't 20 pounds anymore?" So I checked, and yep, they're still 20 pounds. I've just been re-developing my muscles, and it didn't feel like much weight. So, good! Also, I'm walking a lot faster than before. I hadn't realized I'd slowed down so much, but I had. So, good again!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. No really. These first two weeks have been really rough for me. I've got blisters on my feet in places I'd never thought they'd be. So far, I'm not so great at carrying. Starting tomorrow I go to the Carrier Academy in Stockton. Hopefully I'll learn enough to help me do a better job. I almost make myself sick with anxiety each morning before going to work. This last Saturday was the first day I felt good about my prospects. I was told "Just don't quit," and it was good advice.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home