Tuesday, June 19, 2007

It's Been a Lonnnngggg Time!

I realize I have't posted since St. Patrick's Day, but you must understand-- I have a verrrrry good excuse. My life has been one unbelievable roller-coaster ride since shortly after that long-ago day in March. And it's not getting a lot better anytime soon.

Okay, here we go: I have a job that isn't very stressful. It's repetitive and mind-numbingly boring, sucks the soul right out of the top of my head, and you're not allowed to talk (gasp! Yes!) but, hey, it's a job and pays the bills. It's also very close to where I live. Only 6 minutes away, and yes, I'm spoiled. We have our schedules printed out a week in advance, but are subject to "find out the day before" change, and that happens A LOT. Those of us who work there no longer have any lives to speak of, because our shifts suck.

Unfortunately, this particular branch of the business is closing, which we found out very shortly after my last blog posting. November 2 is the closing date.

That's okay, though, plenty of time to find new positions. We thought.

Because of "career" advances, I'm now one of the lucky few who are being assigned to a "new" place to work. The November 2 closing has nothing to do with us-- we were originally told we'd be out of there by September. Then August. Then July. Then May 26. Then June 8. Then July again, and finally, June 23rd, which I only found out this past Saturday, June 16th, when I got a Letter telling me so. Letters mean it's Official.

We've also had many informational meetings held by the area leaders and union representatives, every single one of which contradicted the one before. Believe it or not, these leaders would argue with each other about the information being given DURING the meetings, IN FRONT OF US. Thank you for not causing confusion. It was obvious to us peons that NO ONE knew ANYTHING. And, silly me, I thought all this stuff being told to us was true because these were our Big Guys, the Heads of Heads. Nope. So I'd get my hopes up, then dashed, then up, then dashed, then up...

My blood pressure skyrocketed, which effectively ruled out 2 of the most attractive possibilities. Fortunately, I haven't gone postal. Pun intended.

We were told we'd have PLENTY of options. Some of us, the more advanced peons, were given more options than the rest of us, but those options are turning out to be moot, because THERE ARE NO POSITIONS FOR THOSE MORE-ADVANCED PEONS! But I'm selfish and don't care about THEM, only ME. That "plenty" turned out to be for jobs 100 miles away. Riiiight.

I now have to show up at my "new" job, this Saturday, at 6 am. It's a little over an hour away, and I don't know squat about this "new" job. I'll be in training for forever, and the commuting will eat up tons of gas, even though I supposedly have a car that gets good mileage. I'll find out and let you know if it's true. I don't know about you, but I think gas is kinda expensive, and I already know I'll have to give up my lattes and expensive dinners out (which I don't do anyway-- lattes are fattening, and I'm working during dinnertime) in order to pay for the gas. Maybe it'll be beans and rice from now on. And I don't even LIKE to drive!

I am not happy.

This has not been fun for me. I'm very change-resistant. I love roller-coasters, but not the kind I've been on the last 3 months. I haven't broken down and sobbed, although I've certainly felt like it. But crying never makes me feel better, and I look like death afterwards-- eyes swollen shut, puffy nose and lips. Ick. It ruins my contacts. And crying doesn't solve anything, either-- once you're finished crying, the reason for it is still there. So why bother?

My new job can run anywhere from 4 am (this means getting up at midnight, so I can get ready and leave and do the commute) to 7pm. And sometimes I'll have split shifts. I've done split shifts before, but I always came home in between. I won't be doing that anymore, not when the town I'll be in is over an hour away! Guess I'll be getting a library card up there.

Am I nervous? Yes. Am I scared? Yes. Am I staying? Hell, no! I put in for a transfer before I ever got my letter!

It may be some time before I post again. Patience, please.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I threw up on Memorial Day. :D

3:12 PM  
Blogger Val said...

This is such a sad tale and I know how it is as I now have to work until the end of time to pay the mortgage. Hang in there until you can move on. The library is good! I shall miss you but I'll know why you arn't writing and I'll be thinking of you and wishing you loads of good Karma!

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there! I started my new position as a carrier yesterday. I'm supposed to have three days of training, but at the end of the day I got thrown out there delivering almost on my own (not with a trainer). The training for carriers, at least what I'm getting so far, seems haphazard. It's very easy to get dehydrated out there, even when it's only a little hot. "Just don't quit" I was told several times. "Get through the first few weeks and you'll be fine." It looks like this will be rough.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Hey, Keith-- the others are right. Just hang in there, and carry lots of water with you. You'll get used to it. And remember, if there's a dog wandering around, SKIP THAT HOUSE OR STREET. It's a safety requirement, and also, "the dog's always right."

Valerie, I'll still be posting-- I just don't know when. It'll be my days off, though. I'm so glad you've been SOOOO patient and kind to check up on me! Ah, friendship!

Remmus-- I know, I was there.

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home