Sunday, August 26, 2007

Not Enough Time!

I'm feeling a little panic starting up. Just looked at the clock and saw what time it is, and how little of the day I have left. Because of my working hours, and having to wake up at 2:30 or 3:00 every morning, I still wake up early on my days off (which I don't get enough of, of course). Getting up early (I don't know about you, but I think before 6 on a Sunday is early, and this morning I slept 'til past 8!) is no big deal anymore, and I'd do it anyway, because it gives me more day. I only get one or two days off during the week.

But I hate when the day flies by, and I look at the clock, and more than half of my day off is gone. Forget whether I've accomplished anything or not, I want my day off to be longer. Like, 3 days longer. Or even 3 months. Or years. As long as I don't have to go back to my job!

I've gotten past the Honeymoon Phase of my new workplace. The people I work with haven't changed, they're mostly still the same people I liked right away. But my duties have expanded exponentially, it seems, and the more I learn to do, the more I get passed around from place to place, a few miles away from each other. I feel like I'm being whored out. I hate it.

My manager is still the same person, and I still don't trust her. She seems all nice and friendly up front, but I knew from first meeting her that it's a cover. She's made of iron. Or steel. Or titanium. The *sshole supervisor is still the same-- he's sexist as hell and thinks he's funny. I've had more than a few words with him about it. I even told him that unless he's respectful to me, I'll ignore him. So that's what I do. It seems to help somewhat. He hasn't called me "Woman!" in a couple of weeks, or cracked any stupid chauvinistic lines concerning my hair or liking to go shopping (he overheard me saying to someone that I don't like to go shopping, and butted in with, "Oh, come on. You're a woman. Everyone knows women love to shop. You're just saying that to impress me."). I've decided he must have terrible self-esteem, and probably got beat up a lot when he was a kid. I asked him once if he considered himself a misogynist, and he just looked at me, trying to figure me out, and I said, "Never mind. I didn't expect you to know what that term meant," then walked away. He's going through a wicked divorce. Poor thing.

My Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is unbelievable, and I've started going to bed even earlier than I was, just so I can make up for all the sleep I lose during the night because of the pain and burning and cramping waking me up. I have to get up and walk around for 20 minutes or more, waiting for it to calm down, before being able to go back to sleep. 3 times a night is the usual. Aspirin before retiring is a must. Plus splints and B-6 (75-100 mgs/day) and water pills, too. Forget doing creative stuff-- my hands numb up and cramp just from holding a book or the phone. I tried knitting, and had to stop after one row. I want to bead, but can't feel the beads! The most I've been able to do is work in my little Calendar Book. I'll put up a picture when September starts.

I've found out something horrible and I feel fcked by it: Evidently, and I've called people from all over about it, someone pulled all of us that were forced to take jobs we didn't want in towns where we don't live, off the Priority list, and made us permanent. My boss checked, my boss's boss checked, and my boss's boss's boss checked. I also called HR where I used to work, and Sacramento. Yep. I just keep praying and believing that all those people are wrong, and I'll get something closer to home. Because the truth will make me cry. I'm already madder than I can say.

I heard the Glowworm is hiring for a bartender. I don't drink or know the first thing about mixing liquors, but I'm willing to learn.

6 Comments:

Blogger Val said...

Hmm, I can see how an all singing, all dancing computer could be just what you need! :-)

12:05 PM  
Blogger Val said...

Also wanted to say...Hang in there, be positive and keep looking forward. I had a horrible job which I hated and I was so stressed but now I've got a job just up the road, which is just what I want with good hours, good pay and good holidays. What more could one want. But at one time I was ready to slit my throat. There is a right place for you!

12:08 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Hey Lori, I think that was how the priority thing worked all along. Once you were place, you dropped off the priority list. This does not, however, mean you stand no chance of getting a local job. You stay on eReassign in the date order in which you signed up for it. Sooooo, depending on what you signed up for, and whether there is significant movement in that job, there is still a chance. And of course, there are always good books on mixing drinks LOL

2:04 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Val, I'd love a singing and dancing computer-- tell Martin!

Deb, we were told, over and over, by the union reps and others, that our placements would only be "temporary." "Remember," we were told when we weren't happy about how far we had to drive, "you'll only be there a little while!" Our "temporary" assignments were all about our seniority at the REC, and our Priority listings were all about being "temporary" at our new assignments. End result? The "temporary" bit was b.s. At least to us lowly PTFs.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't trust any of my supervisors either. I feel like they put a spin on everything for their own reasons, instead of just telling me things straight. I hope work gets better for you soon. I didn't realize you had carpal tunnel so bad.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and did you notice that Deb just started her own blog? It called Another Bandwagon. Why not jump on board? http://anotherbandwagon.blogspot.com/

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home