Friday, July 20, 2007

Procrastinating some more

Today is my day off, and instead of doing what NEEDS to be done, I'm sitting here, funking around on the computer.

I had a scary experience last Saturday. Not horrifying, just slightly troubling. And only slightly because I immediately started EFTing it, and was really glad EFT can be done with one hand, because I was on the freeway travelling at a rather high velocity (75mph). Yeah, the speed limit's 65, but NO ONE goes that slowly, and since I don't want to cause an accident, I stay with the traffic flow.

My "maint reqd" light came on, one of those dashboard "trouble lights" that usually causes an instantaneous stomach lurch and rapid breathing and a high-pitched buzz in my head. But, see, I've been wondering for a few weeks when I'd get to the mileage I'm supposed to get to before needing an oil change, so I told myself, "Okay, this most likely just means, in this new car with all these new-fangled thingies in it, that I only need REQUIRED maintenance, like an oil change, not "IMMEDIATE DAMAGE REPAIR, RIGHT THIS MINUTE OR THIS CAR WILL START DROPPING PARTS AND GO SKIDDING OFF THE ROAD INTO THAT RIVER RIGHT THERE ON MY RIGHT" kind of maintenance. And, just to be sure that I believed myself, I EFT'd.

Before this car, I drove cars whose trouble lights really did mean something expensive to fix was occurring, at that very moment. But this is a modern car. Interactive. Since I'm not a very modern woman, though, and since I don't keep up to date on new modern conveniences in new modern cars, I had to lie to myself and tell myself that "I am a modern woman, and this is a modern car, so this awful, scary light must mean something modern is going on."

When I got to work, I was much calmer than I used to be before I started EFTing everything, and I actually forgot about that damned light for hours at a time, instead of seconds. I even remembered to ask a coworker (who loves taking care of cars) about it, and he said, "You have a Toyota. Like mine. It means you need to change your oil." Then he told me about all the other stuff I could have done at the same time, but I didn't care about all that, really, I just was happy about getting my oil changed.

So, I called the car dealership and asked for an appointment to have my required maintenance done since the "maint reqd" light had come on, and the nice lady there told me, "Oh, you just need an oil change, you don't need an appointment. You don't even need to come here to do it, if you don't want. Just remember to tell whoever changes your oil to hit the reset button so the light will go off." Lovely woman, simply wonderful!

So here I am, procrastinating instead of getting my oil changed. Maybe I'll do it Sunday, instead. Yeah, Sunday! Okay, I'll do it Sunday.

P.S. I think they should put those helpful dashboard lights in a different place, over to the right somewhere, instead of right in front of you where you can see them glowing all redly and happily, and making themselves almost impossible to ignore without contorting your hands and fingers all awkwardly on the steering wheel so it covers up the glow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home