Friday, September 21, 2007

I worked 49.25 hours this week

and I'm feelin' it. Our maximum allowed hours per day are 10, which I worked. Our maximum allowed hours per week are 56, which I haven't worked yet, but am told it WILL happen. Oh, yay.

These are highly PHYSICAL, SWEATY hours, folks. None of that namby-pamby, ouch-I-broke-a-fingernail type of stuff. Nope. If you don't need to grunt a little while working, you're not working hard enough. (Ooo, just sounded a little indecent, didn't it?) No sitting down in THIS workplace. No, sir, it's standing, walking, sliding, twisting, heaving...

That reminds me. We had to watch an "ergonomics" safety video on Wednesday. (OK, we sat for that-- about 45 minutes, and boy were we stiff when we had to stand up again! We'd been hauling bunns for about 5 hours, and the sudden cessation of movement froze our muscles up. You know, it could even have been longer than 45 minutes, I can't be sure. My attention span left after about 7 of them. Minutes, I mean.)

Anyway, this video showed all the things we're NOT supposed to do, and after about 5 of those things, I realized THOSE THINGS CONSTITUTE OUR JOBS. We can't NOT lift and twist, we can't NOT stand for long periods of time, we can't NOT reach and lift from over our heads, and if that lady thought anyone would drop what they were doing to come help someone else, she was out of her mind. And if any of us were to sit for a while when we got tired, oh, puh-leeze!

Sure, we've got a few lazy-ss slackers. But I won't tell you what's said about them. Ok, maybe I will, but in another post.

So, I spent 10 hours doing all the things we're not supposed to do, in ONE DAY, and then 9.37 hours another day, and 8.37 another day. All the way to 49.25 hours.

Next week is another 6-day week, and the week after, and the week after, blah blah blah, until HECTOR WITH THE BROKEN ARM gets back. My brain hurts to think about it, so I'm gonna stop here, and go read for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home