Thursday, December 20, 2007

It's been awhile, hasn't it?

Today is the first day I've had off in EXACTLY 2 WEEKS. I've had to start working Sundays, too, so there went my one definite day off. Instead, I was being given a weekday off, and last week, I was supposed to get Thursday off, but it was cancelled. I was SOOOO not happy about that.

I've also been working 12-hour days, which makes my usual 10-hour days seem like a piece of cake. Figure in my commute time, and I'm gone 15 hours a day. I have to sleep, 5 1/2 or 6 hours, and I have to bathe when I get home before going to bed. I also have to get ready for work in the mornings (middle-of-the-nights to normal people), and I give myself 2 hours for that so I'll be awake enough to not fall asleep on the way to work.

So, I haven't been posting anything, just checking in on my favorite blogs when I get the time. And finding out the weather forecast for 1)my town, 2)a town in the middle of my commute, and 3)the town where I work, so I can be better prepared for rain or FOG. Rain is scary because all the rain-related driving statistics keep dancing through my head like sourplums while I'm driving, and the huge big rigs on the road only add to the water hitting my windshield. And I'm DRIVING IN THE DARK, people. Nighttime. There've been a couple of times when I've been driving and I swear I had an out-of-body experience-- it felt like I wasn't sitting in the seat of the car anymore, but had floated up and was looking DOWN at the road in front of me. I had to start singing really loud (no music on the radio, even!) so I could re-orient myself. And I wasn't hydroplaning, either. I'm real careful about not doing that.

Rain is bad, FOG is worse. There's no sound when it's foggy. Even the sound of the tires on the road is muffled. I can't hear any traffic approaching, so when some idiot car comes flying past my window (I guess my car and the 14 cars behind me are driving too slowly), it's a bit of a surprise. Once one of those cars passed me, and later I saw it very faintly at an angle on the side of the road, nose-first into the oleanders. Whoops. And a couple of times I've watched a car hugging the white line on the edge, only to see it's brake lights suddenly light up, because it followed that white line right onto an off-ramp. I'm guessing they didn't REALLY want to take those exits.

I've put my work number on speed-dial on my cell phone. That way I can call without looking at the phone keys and warn them I'll be late getting in.

My poor papier-mache Santas are still nude. I haven't had time or even the inclination to work on them.

BUT-- I'VE LOST 22 1/2 POUNDS! No wonder I have to keep pulling my pants up. And one of my supervisors has said a couple of times this past week that he thinks I'm losing weight. I just said, "Yeah, probably," but never thought to actually check on my scale until I got home from work last night. Surprise! I have noticed my face looking thinner when I've looked in the mirror, but I thought it was just me looking tired and drawn, and then felt sorry for myself (I have to do that, feel sorry for myself, because no one else will). Now I know it's actually 22 1/2 POUNDS gone. I haven't even been watching what I eat, except for avoiding salt (I'm like a sponge if I eat salt, I retain water like crazy, which makes my Carpal Tunnel worse). Otherwise, I EAT.

Oh, yeah. They're having another potluck at work today and I'm missing it. We are the eating-est workplace in the world, I think. We're always having potlucks, or else someone brings in something they've made and we all have some. I brought Hot and Sour soup a couple of weeks ago, left it on the table in the break room for maybe 15 minutes, and when I came back to get some to eat, it was gone. Only a couple of pieces of julienned shiitake were left, stuck to the sides of the pot. So I didn't even get to have any. And it was a 6-quart pot! Now everyone wants the recipe, even a couple of our Asian co-workers, which makes me laugh.

Okay, so that's my long post. Now I have to go out and do some Christmas shopping because I won't have another day off until Christmas day itself. I haven't done one speck of shopping yet, except for a gift card for someone who wanted one, and I happened to be in that particular store at the time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Wow, I was wondering where you had been. I have been working overtime too but nothing like you. I don't envy you the commute. I know how scary that fog can be. Glad to hear you are still out there and still well. And I am so jealous about the 22 pounds. I am only down a couple. You would think that with such a major lifestyle change I could drop a few pounds as well, wouldn't you? Have a very happy holiday L. This craziness will only last a few more days.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Muzakaz said...

Dang girl... I bet you look good. How do you feel physically?

M.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Deb, give it time. It'll happen.

M!M!M!Woohoo! Except for the hands and wrists, I'm fine. I saw a lump in my forearm the other day, and it scared me until I realized it was only a muscle.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home