Friday, January 04, 2008

I'm home early today

because the power went out at work, and the emergency lights are only good for emergencies. So, most of us went home.

We're having a whoopee of a storm. I had to drive 65 miles INTO 40-50mph winds, with the rain coming AT me. Fun. Fortunately, the other people on the freeway were going just as slowly as I was.

The worst part were the big rigs. My little Toyota was going only a couple mph faster than they were, so I had to keep the windshield wipers going at their fastest because of the horrendous spray the rigs' tires were sending up and over. All I could do was hang onto the steering wheel, pray a lot, and hope the buffeting from the wind and the trucks wouldn't send me (or the trucks!) into the wrong lane.

The good thing about it was it was in the DAYTIME. What a luxury! This morning I drove in the dark, with the wind going like crazy (no rain, though), and my headlights picking out all the debris flying across the freeway. A couple of the tumbleweeds seemed almost as big as my car. It was surreal.

While I was in my car, having lunch and feeling the wind shake and bounce my little economy model while it was just sitting still, looking at and hearing the rain pound from all directions, a huge, pink balloon went bouncing up and down, up and down, between the front of my car and the parking lot fence, then bounced up and over the fence, and into the field on the other side, and bounce up and down, up and down, and away. I had to laugh. It looked like someone lost their bubble gum right in the middle of a good blow. I wondered where in the world such a huge balloon would come from, and then I remembered the car dealerships nearby, with their long, long ropes full of balloons. Guess someone's rope broke. Oops.

On my way out of my work-town, the traffic lights were all dark and blank-- power outage. But the other people driving all seemed to be feeling helpful and generous, and we treated the intersections like 4-way stops, and no one honked once. Nice.

It's supposed to keep raining for the next 2 days, and I have to go to work on both of them. But the wind's supposed to be a lot less, so that's something. Evidently, there are 3 storms, and this is the second one. The third one's supposed to kick in tonight or tomorrow morning sometime, but the rain is supposed to keep coming. I bet the people a couple of blocks away, next to the river, are sandbagging right now. They have to do it just about every year. The street in front of our house is flooded, but that's par for the course where we live. Oh, well.

Oh, yeah.

Happy New Year, by the way.

2 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Friday was just plain ugly all round. We had some safety team come down from Sacramento and they had to pull over for about 10 minutes on 99 because the windshield wipers couldn't keep up. Would have been rather ironic if the safety team had had an accident on the way to check us out, wouldn't it? Hope you are staying safe and well. Just so you know, there are a couple more KALs starting this month so hopefully I will have more pictures soon. Waiting on my yarn for the one that has already started. Working on socks in the meantime and Jen is dying for some wristwarmers back in NJ.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Val said...

Happy New Year. And I moan about the weather. Compared with yours our weather is divine!!

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home